T.F. Riggs High School
The mission statement of T.F. Riggs High School is "to provide students with the necessary knowledge, skills, and attitudes to become life-long learners and productive members of society." Included in the mission are the following beliefs:
- Each student is a valued individual with unique physical, emotional, and intellectual needs; therefore, instructional practices should incorporate learning activities that take into account the differences in learning styles.
- Students learn best when they have appropriate opportunities for success and are actively engaged in the learning process.
- A student's self-esteem is enhanced by positive relationships and mutual respect among students and staff.
- The school should promote student learning by providing a safe and physically comfortable environment.
- School personnel, parents, and the community share the responsibility for the support of the school's mission.
The expectation is for all students to achieve their potential, and they are given numerous opportunities to do so.
T.F. Riggs High School offers a variety of learning opportunities for students at all ability levels. T.F. Riggs High School is a one-to-one tablet school in which all students are provided with a Fujitsu tablet computer.
Through dual-credit and Advanced Placement courses, students seeking higher-level learning have the opportunity to earn both high school and post-secondary credits in music appreciation, psychology, advanced computer applications, college algebra, and all health science courses offered through Lake Area Technical Institute’s partnership with Capitol University Center. AP course offerings are: AP chemistry, AP psychology, AP calculus, AP US History, and AP biology.
Students who have learning challenges are able to earn high school credit in courses available at their ability level.
Courses offered in this include: basic physical science, basic biology, basic algebra I, basic geometry, environmental science, and English courses that focus on reading remediation. Additionally, students who fail a semester course may take advantage of the opportunity to make up the credit in the Riggs Academy where credit recovery courses are available through Edgenuity, an on-line learning environment, and through paper/pencil curricula for students who need that type of individualization.
Students with an interest in hands-on classes have a variety of courses to choose from in the avenue of Career and Technical Education. These include a variety of the following courses: welding, automotive, youth internship, computers, cabinetry, culinary arts, and drafting as well as agriculture and wildlife and fisheries.
T.F. Riggs students also benefit from an outstanding fine arts program from visual to musical as well as opportunities to act through our drama and oral interpretation programs.
At T.F. Riggs we strive to teach the whole student and provide a well-rounded education that students can step into the future with and have the confidence that they will succeed no matter which direction they take in life.
Principal, T.F. Riggs High School