Rental Policy and Rate Schedule for School Facilities | Revised JUne 2022
School facilities are established, maintained and operated by funds provided through local taxpayers, therefore the board accepts the responsibility for making the public facilities of the Pierre School District available to the community for appropriate activities.
It is also recognized that K-12 education and the pupils in the school system have first priority for use of facilities. Building utilizations through lease agreements must not infringe upon or interfere with the school district’s programs and activities.
Facility rental charges are calculated to pay for the applicable operational, custodial and utilities costs.
It is the board’s intention to grant the use of the school district’s facilities under the superintendent’s direction in accordance with the following policy.
- Lease Agreements
- All agreements covering the lease of school facilities, property or the rendering of service shall be in writing and on special “Lease Agreement” forms, executed by both parties. These rules and regulations shall become a part of such lease agreement.
- The regular schedule of rates attempts to include the cost of utilities (electricity, natural gas, water, waste water) cleaning before and after use of area, equipment set-up (chairs, the public address system without operator, speaker’s stand, etc.), routine maintenance costs and repairs, restroom and custodial supplies and insurance costs. The theatre rental rates include the dressing rooms and the gym rates include the athletic locker rooms where available. There shall be a custodian or faculty representative present or on call during the complete time any building is in use.
- Services in addition to those provided by the regular contract will be provided as requested and agreed to by the owner. An additional charge will be made for use of special equipment, scoreboards, etc. Technical services, such as for the operation of lights, sound equipment, staging equipment, etc. if available will be an additional charge. at the rate of $35.00 per hour per person. An additional charge of $25 per unit/setup per day may be charged for the use of TV’s, projectors, and similar equipment.
- Rehearsals or use of facilities in addition to the regularly scheduled event shall be included in all lease agreements and payment shall be at the rental rate for that period of time plus any additional incidental services that are required
- The rental fee shall be due and payable upon conclusion of the rental activity. At that time, any applicable cleaning fees or damages may also be assessed. Payment for use of any facility may be required prior to use of the facility. In addition, at the business manager’s discretion, a deposit may be required which would be returned after use if no damages or cleaning fees are assessed.
- Any group using any part of the school facilities will be held responsible for any damages to equipment or facilities by members of the group or by others in attendance. Cost of repairing or replacing damaged or missing items will be solely the responsibility of the renter.
- The sponsoring organization will be responsible for the prevention of smoking in school buildings and grounds. Smoking is prohibited at all times in all school buildings and sites. No alcohol or drugs will be allowed in any school facility, and the sponsoring organizations will be expected to prevent the use of alcohol or drugs on the premises.
- School activities will always take precedence over any other activities or functions. The superintendent or principal shall have the responsibility for the assignment of dates so that there will be no conflicts with previously scheduled school activities.
- Concession rights will be negotiated between Pierre School District and the group or organization leasing the facility.
- Authorized Youth Organizations (YMCA, Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs, 4-H, Sports Teams etc.) may receive free or reduced rental fees. Free or reduced cost use of facilities is limited to youth activities involving Pierre School District students for which no fee is charged for participation or when a nominal fee is charged for participation, but coaches/advisors are volunteers. Exception allowed for Pierre School District coaches conducting an annual short-term sports camp for Pierre School District athletes. Free use of facilities is not allowed for events for which admission will be charged. Due to high demand, facility use by any one group may be limited at the discretion of the district.