Home Health Screening
- Parents will screen their children for symptoms at home using the COVID-19 DAILY SCREENING CHECKLIST.
- If child is symptomatic, please call your family health care provider.
- Students should not come to school if symptomatic.
- COVID-19 vaccinations are not mandatory but are readily available throughout the community for eligible students and staff.
- Vaccination requirements, as included in STATE LAW, are still applicable.
- Masks are optional for staff and students.
- Parents will need to provide a mask for their child if that is their choice.
- Social distancing of 3 feet will be encouraged.
- The configuration of instructional spaces will be modified with consideration for social distancing.
Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Touchless hand sanitizer dispensers are located in classrooms and throughout the schools.
- Touchless faucets and toilets have been installed in all buildings.
- Outside air intake will be increased in all buildings whenever weather permits.
- Increased use of disinfecting solutions will be maintained.
- Students are encouraged to bring personal water bottles.
Response to Students Who Become COVID-19 Symptomatic
- Guidance from the South Dakota Department of Health and the South Dakota Department of Education will be considered.
- One full time nurse is assigned to each school building.
- Isolation rooms for symptomatic individuals are designated at each school.
- Students or staff members who become sick with COVID-19 symptoms during the school day will be sent home and encouraged to contact their health provider.
- Affected areas will be thoroughly disinfected.
- Quidel QuickVue COVID-19 over-the-counter testing materials will be provided free of charge for families to administer at home.
- If an individual is not COVID-19 positive and has not been determined to be a close contact by the Department of Health, return to school will be allowed based on the criteria found in the district’s infectious disease policy, including being fever-free for 24 hours without use of fever-reducing medication.
Positive Cases and Response
- COVID-19 positive students and staff must isolate at home for the required time period as directed by the South Dakota Department of Health.
- The South Dakota Department of Health may contact staff and students due to close contact exposure to COVID-19. The Pierre School District will support the need for those individuals to quarantine when directed by the SDDOH. During these absences, students will be expected to complete assigned work.
- Contact tracing in the school setting will not be completed by Pierre School District staff.
Visitors to School; Transportation; Extracurricular Activities
- Parents and other visitors are welcome to visit schools if not symptomatic, under quarantine or COVID-19 positive.
- Buses will be sanitized after each trip.
- Guidance from the South Dakota High School Activities Association will be followed for extracurricular activities.
- Restricting the number of spectators in attendance is not planned.
- Masks are optional at Pierre School District sponsored events.
- Decisions regarding changes to seasons, events, games, and practices will be shared if appropriate.